Sunday, May 29, 2005

There Goes the Neighborhood

My name is August Ecklund and I decided to throw my hat in the ring of bloggers. Each week, I will use this blog to post my thoughts on the world around me. Most of the time, I will focus on politics and economics, but occasionally I will probably discuss religion and sometimes even digress into sports and entertainment.

As a word of warning, I am a Libertarian so my thoughts dwell on individualism and the need for smaller government. I believe that every individual life is valuable; therefore, no political end can justify a means that tramples on the life and liberty of even one individual. I came to this conclusion through my understanding of my Christian faith. In other words, I take the Golden Rule very seriously and apply it at the macro as well as the micro level. We must judge every law or public policy by its adherence to basic moral principles, if it fails to hold up, the law or policy will be destructive. Furthermore, I believe that the State is the largest murder and thief in history, and its actions routinely destroy the lives of individuals all around the world. Therefore, only by severely limiting government and its actions can we come closer to achieving the goal of Peace, Prosperity, and Virtue.

For now, I am naming this blog, “The Great Oak Forest,” mostly because I cannot think of another more appropriate name. Historically, forests, mountains, and other geographic boundaries protected small villages and cultures from incursion. These civilizations maintained their liberty through isolation. As I have grown older, I have begun to fear that finding isolation is the only way to gain liberty. I hope that in time, this will change and I will think of a better name for my blog. Maybe someone out there will produce the arguments that change my mind. Until then, thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing your comments.

Grace, Love, and Peace
August Ecklund

2 Comments:

Blogger ELemonholm said...

Hello friend!
Yeah - I have the privilege of being the first person to comment on your blog (after you, of course). Welcome to the blogosphere. While we have very different political views (in so far as I HAVE political views), I have great respect for the libertarian perspective, as a consistent and insistent emphasis on the freedom of the individual.

6:57 PM  
Blogger August Ecklund said...

Thanks for reading and the warm welcome, I look forward to hearing your point of view. May the best ideas win.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home